Saturday, March 27, 2010

The Daring Baker's Challenge: Orange Tian

The 2010 March Daring Baker’s challenge was hosted by Jennifer of Chocolate Shavings. She chose Orange Tian as the challenge for this month, a dessert based on a recipe from Alain Ducasse’s Cooking School in Paris.

An Orange What!? Yep, that was exactly what I was thinking when I read what the March dessert was going to be. That and it is going to take a lot of convincing that these challenges are even worth it.

I knew I wasn't going to start my argument with the preparation time...just look at that list:
Preparation time:
- Pate Sablee: 20 minutes to make, 30 minutes to rest, 15 minutes to roll out, 20 minutes to bake
- Marmalade: 20 minutes to make, 30 minutes to blanch
- Orange segments: 20 minutes, overnight to sit
- Caramel: 15 minutes, overnight to sit
- Whipped Cream: 15 minutes
- Assembling: 20 minutes
- Freezer to Set: 10 minutes

Blah, Blah, Yikes! Even in my not so busy life I still felt this dessert was a little too "needy". I kept thinking to myself this dish better be good...or we've got some problems Daring Kitchen.


Thank goodness it was excellent! It was the perfect first-week-of-spring dessert. The only thing I would change about the dessert was the fact that I couldn't find Florida oranges in our grocery store...so I had to settle for a Texas one. I guess it was for the best, I'm sure eating a Florida orange would send me into a deep home(state)-sick depression.

P & I enjoyed this dessert all week long as it was kept frozen until ready to be eaten each night. I don't think I will be making this one again in a long time, unless it's someone's birthday and they beg, a lot. I am very happy I am expanding my kitchen skills and our bellies each month with the Daring Kitchen, I cannot wait to see what next month's challenge will be.

2 comments:

  1. can i have a piece please? you are the cutest baker ever! i love how you described it as "needy", some dishes are just like that.. but totally worth it in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Alyssa...I will trade you a piece of the orange tian for a piece of that chocolate cream cake you just posted. yum :)

    ReplyDelete