I have always wanted to make risotto, however its reputation for being tricky to master has kept me far away.
The rules of this challenge were very flexible. The only requirements were: You MUST make your own stock and the risotto base. The base consists of wine, rice, oil, stock, cheese, and butter.
Make my own stock? Never done that before. I began to wonder what I was getting myself into, but I guess that is the main reason I signed up for the Daring Cooks/Bakers Challenges.
Stock was easy but time consuming. It consisted of bone-in chicken, onion, garlic, carrots, celery, flat-leaf parsley, thyme, bay leaf, peppercorns, and water.
We used the cooked chicken to make Chicken and Rice for dinner and then Chicken Salad for lunches.
P & I decided to stick with a very basic Risotto recipe and made Parmesan and Parsley Risotto. It consisted of: onions, butter, wine, rice, oil, stock, LOTS of parmesan cheese and parsley. Unfortunately we added too much stock and ended up with risotto soup, but it still tasted excellent and lesson learned: be careful when adding stock towards the end of the recipe.
Although my first attempt of making Risotto was partially unsuccessful, I will definitely be trying this one again.
Sounds like it was fun. Making Chicken and Rice like we used to was always a favorite meal for me. In fact, we are offering it in the restaurant starting tomorrow!. (I sampled some tonight). I'll try your dish when I come up to visit you and Patrick. Love you, Dad
ReplyDeletelooks yummy! i made my own stock this weekend, it was time consuming but worth it! i made chicken noodle soup but your risotto sounds fabulous!
ReplyDelete