The host gave some background about Brunswick stew that I found quite interesting. Apparently Brunswick, GA and Brunswick, VA both claim that they made the first Brunswick stew. An annual "stew-off" is held in Georgia to see which city can out-stew the other.
I am familiar with Brunswick, GA as my Dad lives about an hour away from it, but I had never heard of the associated stew, and thus clearly never eaten it.
There were two different recipes to choose from, obviously I chose the easier throw it all in a pot one. Legends say the Brunswick stew is complete when "the paddle stands up in the middle" of the pot. The challenge was set before us to make a proper Brunswick stew, paddle standing up and all. And that we did (well, sorta).
Brunswick Stew
Recipe Two, The Short Way-
This version goes on the assumption that you already have cooked your meats and have broth on hand.
Serves about 10
2 ½ lb TOTAL diced stewed chicken, turkey, and ham, with broth - yes, all three meats
3 medium diced potatoes
2 medium ripe crushed tomatoes
2 medium diced onions
3 cups frozen corn
1 ½ cups frozen lima beans
4-5 strips crumbled bacon
4 tablespoons of butter
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 Tablespoon ‘Poultry Seasoning’
Dash of red pepper
2 diced carrots (optional)
Tomato juice
Directions-
In large stock pot or Dutch Oven, mix all ingredients, heat until bubbly and hot. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add tomato juice as desired. Cook until all vegetables are tender. Serve hot.
Quick and easy to make and very tasty! It definitely had an "earthy" taste to it, but only in the good ways. (Not like eating dirt...Pica friendly!)This is a recipe P & I are sure to repeat when it gets cold again. Hopefully I will soon get the liquid portion of recipes figured out...until then we will continue to eat soupy-risotto and soupy-stews.
No comments:
Post a Comment