Wednesday, March 4, 2009

OR Nursing

This semester I am in the medical-surgical I & II (that's why it's considered "accelerated") clinical rotations. It has been a way better semester in the hospital. Especially today. Today I got to experience life as an OR nurse. But even more exciting I got to see a total hip replacement! Wow!

I was thinking to myself this morning on my way over to Tampa that if the charge nurse (the nurse in charge of all the other nurse's) gives me a chance on what type of surgery I wanted to see I was going to pick an orthopedic case because of Patrick's desire to be a Orthopedic surgeon. (I honestly had no desire coming in to be a OR nurse and I knew it would be one of my only chances to see a bit of what Patrick might be facing) So I got my pick and a total hip replacement it was. I won't go into the details...don't worry Cori.

But I do have one little funny story to tell. Just as the su
rgeons were making their first set of cuts a phone started to ring on the desk opposite the table. It was the surgeon resident's phone and he asked the OR nurse to pick it up because it was his wife. (This triggered a flash forward to my future with Patrick). She just wanted to know if he had given the dog his medicine that morning. So even in the midst of cuts and flesh...life does go on and I will remember this story next time Patrick's at work (however, maybe only with emergencies).

Spring Break is right around the corner an
d I will be flying up to Memphis to spend 10 days with Patrick! We are very excited to take our video chat study session to face to face study sessions.

Thank you guys for all your cards, phone calls, emails, etc. Your support means everything to me right now.


I decided to dig up a picture from highschool during my trip to Honduras because today reminded me of just how cute Patrick looks in scrubs!

No comments:

Post a Comment